Monday, May 01, 2006

More on Python and OpenGL

Made a few changes to the program. It now starts at a pre-chosen hex with the camera set at a pre-chosen angle. You can now click on a hex and the camera will smoothly center on that new hex. Your camera angle will remain the same. You can also use the Q, W, A, S, D and Z keys as before to adjust your camera angle.

The source code can be found at: TW_05.py

I also got the py2exe program working and you can now download the zipped executable at: tw_05.zip

There's seems to be some problem between the pyOpenGl and the py2exe. After the compile, pyOpenGl looks for a 'version' file in the library.zip, but the py2exe program didn't include it. I tried including it manually but it still couldn't see it. The solution involved modifying the pyOpenGL __init__.py file to capture the file error and set the version manually if the file couldn't be found.

I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to minimize the build size, so the complete build comes in at around 8 meg. Quite a large program for doing so little. You can see that the source code is actually quite small (17 kB) the rest is all the Python interpreter, pyGame and pyOpenGL.

I extended the Camera Class, but now there's some unused pieces of it that I haven't removed yet. (like the move_x and move_y). I also added set target and initialize position routines that handle setting up the desired target hex and initializing the camera target to that hex.

I did run into a little problem with some floating point errors. At one point I was getting a 'True' returned for '6.0'

Next step will be to place some user-controllable 'characters' on the board and let the user move them about and interact with them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Camille said...

Hey! I've been checking out your blog. My brother is really into computers. I have heard him talk of OpenGL before.

I see you are an atheist. Please take a look at my blog, Sound Out. I am interested in telling people about the one true way to heaven, and I'd love to answer any questions you might have about the Bible, God, heaven, whatever. If I can't answer it, maybe I can recommend someone who can.

~Nella

2:13 PM  
Blogger Shelly Hattan said...

(this is John. I needs me a blogger account)

I have questions. For starters. . .

1. Is eating fried shrimp a sin?

2. Is having sex with a dog a sin?

3. If your answers to the previous two questions were different, please explain the moral standard used to determine which is a sin and which is not, given that the Unchanging Moral Standard(tm) that is the Bible condemns both in the OT and mentions neither in the NT.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Shelly Hattan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home