Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Menu

At 7pm last night I asked my wife what she wanted for dinner. I got thestandard response, "I don't know. I haven't thought about it." I get this exact same response 9 times out of 10. It's very frustrating. She's the picky eater. I'll pretty much eat anything that's placed in front of me. We previously made a deal. All she's got to do is say waht she wants and I'll cook it. No problem right? Sounds like a great deal on her part. However I STILL get the "I don't know" whenever I ask about dinner.


So I upped the ante. "Every night," I said, "at seven o'clock we have dinner. And every night at seven o'clock it takes you by complete surprise. Why is that?"


She responds with "There's a left-over pork chop in the fridge and Dee can have a grilled cheese sandwich and I'll get me a sandwich later."


Then she comes into the kitchen and starts fixing those items (a blatant violation of our prior agreement). So I ask her, "do you have an answer to my question?"


"No! I don't!" She says.


No big surprise.


On several occasions I'd tried to talk her into putting together weekly menus. That way we'd know what to shop for on the weekends and I wouldn't have to ask what we're going to eat every single night. Last night after dinner she sent me this spreadsheet:





A B C D E F G H
1

WEEK
#1

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

2

Breakfast Dee

Yogurt, Fruit & Cereal

Eggs, Toast & Fruit

Fried Ham or Bologna

Yogurt, Fruit & Cereal

Eggs, Toast & Fruit

Fried Ham or Bologna

Eggs, Toast & Fruit

3

Lunch Dee

Grilled Cheese

Tomato "Sandwich"

Salmon Bread

Pasta & Veggies

Veggie Plate

Hot Dog

Pasta & Veggies

4

Supper Us

Leftovers

Hot Dogs or Brats

Pork Chops

--OUT--

Steaks

Chicken

Meatloaf or Roast

5

Supper Dee

Veggie Plate

Hot Dog

Pasta & Veggies

--OUT--

Grilled Cheese

Tomato "Sandwich"

Salmon Bread


YES!!!!!!


Now we're talking! Sure it needs a little fine-tuning. For example: What kind of Chicken is that supposed to be on Saturday? But this is a great improvement! I didn't really need to know what she expects to feed Dee for breakfast and lunch, but if she wants to put it on there, that's fine by me.


Thank you very much, Terri! This will make help to reduce my levels of frustration and stess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home