Monday, October 03, 2005

Saved by Saved!

Watched Saved! this weekend. While it was a decent flick, I was a bit disappointed. There were some good zingers at the xtians, and it really showed up the whole "I'm a better xtian than you" attitude that's very prevalent among the younger xtian set.


I was probably hoping for too much to begin with. The best part of the movie for me was Macaulay Culkin saying "I'm not a christian."


Of course, there's this exchange from the same scene:


Cassandra: There's only one reason Christian girls come down to the Planned Parenthood.

Roland: She's planting a pipe bomb?

Cassandra: Okay, two reasons.


All-in-all it's a decent portrayal of the messed up attitudes a lot of xtians have and how they get completely fucked in the head by their religion. For example when the principal, Pastor Skip, tells Mary's mother that her being pregnant is God's way of punishing THEM for THEIR sins.


As a social commentary, the movie holds up well, but as I understand it, earlier versions of the script were a lot more edgy. But these things tend to get a bit watered down. I guess it's a minor miracle that the movie got made at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home