Monday, December 19, 2005

Ignorance is Bliss

It must be true that ignorance is bliss because so many people seems content to wallow in their ignorance.

For years I have always tried to help people think more critically. When someone spouts out some nonsense I try to point them in the right direction, lead them to a reliable source of information or get them to think critically about the issue.

And every time I do it's a fight. They argue with the plain data placed right in front of their nose. They counter with anecdotal evidence. They've always got a friend-of-a-friend who swears that their second cousin's husband's aunt's boyfriend is a certified expert in the field and so it must be true.

WELL I'M SICK OF IT!

From now on these people can wallow in their ignorance and be blissfully happy with themselves. I'm tired of trying to educate these fucking morons! If they're too stupid or lazy to do a little research or even read a smegging book, then I've got no use for them. The only person I've got any responsibilities to educate is my daughter. The rest of them can just fuck off.

We had a holiday party recently. After the party, one of my friends came around pulling the tabs off all the cans. When I asked what she was doing, she said that she had a friend that collected them. I asked why. I don't remember exactly what her reply was but basically the tabs was perceived as having more value than the rest of the can. When I tried to point out that that was an urban legend and that the tabs were made from the same aluminum as the can, another person piped up that she was right. He knew this because the people at the VFW (or somewhere) had a huge jar full of them and that "the guy" at the recycling place said they were worth more. Again, I tried to point out that that wasn't the case and offered to send him a link to a site that would explain it. He replied, "oh? On the internet, huh?" As if to say that I was an idiot for believing something that I read on the internet. So I asked him if he'd rather have it in a book. He said, "yeah." So obviously he believes that if it's printed in a book it must be true and if it's on the internet, it must be false. Great deductive reasoning there, fellah! (probably watches too much Bill O'Reilly)

Incidentally, if you want to read about the can tabs, here are some links:

http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

http://www.encorpinc.com/cfm/index.cfm?It=913&Id=1&Se=22

http://www.nkfi.org/factsheets/Tabsfact.html

Incidentally I got these links from doing a google search for "aluminum pull tabs." Try it: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=aluminum+pull+tabs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home