Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I am a fish

OK, maybe not so much a fish, more like a fish-like animal that walks upright and breathes air, that kind of thing.

When I was a kid (not the goaty kind) I was both a good kid and a bad kid. It really depended on who you asked. For example, if you asked the leader of the girl scout troop that we shot the bottle rocket at, she'd probably say that I was a bad kid. However, if you asked... well... um... OK I can't really think of anyone other than my grandmother who might say that I was a good kid and I'm not sure her opinion really counts for the simple fact that she was my grandmother and therefore biased.

The point of this is that my daughter has been something of a pill lately. So much so that my wife went out and bought a bunch of books about handling difficult children. One thing became immediately evident from those books... it could be much worse.

Contrary to her father, most of the people who meet Dee comment on how good of a kid she is and how polite she is. I sincerely hope that this continues to be the case as she grows up.

When she's disobedient and obstinate I try to keep in mind the kind of kid I must have been at her age. Of course, that's not necessarily a good thing. One day I may hear myself say, "you better straighten up and fly right young lady otherwise you're going to turn out just like me." If that doesn't scare her straight nothing will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home