Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I was a Teenage Wesley Hater...

Ok, actually more of a twenty-something Wesley Hater. I mention this because I don't want to blow smoke up your ass and try to say, "No! I LIKED Wesley! Really!"

I hated Wesley Crusher. The character was flat and was used as an out-of-the-blue solution that saved the day in the last two minutes of the episode (or at least that's how I remember it).

The reason I'm going into this is that I just finished Wil Wheaton's books Dancing Barefoot and Just a Geek. I've also been reading Wil's blog (at WWdN and for now at WWdN in Exile) for several years now.

I like memoirs. I have also just finished reading Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes although I'm still confused about the title.

A well written memoir gives you excellent insight into the person behind the public image. Wil Wheaton comes across as a guy who was thrust into the limelight without being fully prepared for the consequences and into a role that few people could be comfortable with. As a result, the fear of being stuck in an unappreciated role for the rest of his life and missing out on other opportunities led him to make a decision that he has been second-guessing for a long time.

I can truthfully say that I like Wil Wheaton (even though I don't know him personally) and that while I didn't care for the character he played, I can appreciate the position he was put in. If my own movie career ever takes off, I'd love to have the chance to work with him as a writer or an actor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home